Saturday, December 6, 2008

A Pictoral Review

My Swedish friend doing a street show--that's a real knife in the air; and she's standing on two men from the audience:As I'm sure everyone is aware, Cantonese Opera Day was last week. The costumes and make-up are truly understated:I forced Hong Kong to celebrate Thanksgiving with me. Since ovens are rare commodities, our meal was less traditional, featuring puppy chow and a cheeseball. I'd take these people over a turkey any day:Mona from the studio got married. It was extremely different from any wedding I've ever attended. I especially enjoyed the groom's sparkly jacket. Here's a picture of some Dramatic English people with the bride and groom. Notice how I'm awkwardly holding my gift--completely unaware that people don't give gifts at weddings here. And my faux-pas sphere continues to envelope me. And now for some photos for which you have all been waiting with bated breath. You will see what I actually do for work! (It's not all juggling and weddings). First, a picture of a recent audience. We usually perform to around 1,000 students per show:

On stage as the penguin, just realizing that I am on a game show called "You Just Killed Another Penguin." Not sure why it looks like I'm shouting; the Penguin is silent:

To demonstrate the problem of over-fishing, Eric and I are sadistic fishers/canners who scour the ocean and chop up anything that they catch in their net. We catch Tim every show... :Then we lighten things up with a kickline...?...I promise the show makes sense:A few days ago, we had a photo shoot for new publicity projects. I just kept thinking, "What would Tyra Banks tell me to do?" This first one is I as Smogman. We have a smoke machine in the show. Smogman shows how bad air pollution is: Eric and I are always happy to juxtapose the disturbing blood-stained aprons:The Penguin almost always has this ridiculously happy face:
We also did shots for the Shakespeare show...this is Tim as Demetrius and I as Hermia, resisting his advances a la "Midsummer": To be or not to be...:
fter a busy last few weeks, the TIE team has a bit of a break as our next show is Dec. 16. We're working on scripting a show about Internet piracy, fixing props that the kids break, and helping make new props for the student shows. For example, I spent an entire day cutting out and stuffing monkey ears and tails for "Jungle Book." All in a day's work...

6 comments:

Caitlin Rose said...

I am really intimidated by how awesome your blog is. Mine only pales in comparison. But then again, if I only had boring, inarticulate, untalented friends I would be sad. Even if it made me look really good. It wouldn't be worth it. I am almost completely sure. love, C

Anonymous said...

If a picture's worth a thousand words, "Smogman" says it all! To my incredibly untrained eye, I believe that what photographers call "composition" is fantastic in that photo. The model is one of my favorites also. Now, who do you suppose is writing this?

Anonymous said...

You should try juggling with the meat cleaver. It would likely prove most impressive. Love the cap at the wedding. Must heads be covered at such events? I was going to ask if you will be re-gifting; however, that's not quite the right term. Lateral gifing? Default gifting? Let's come up with something to meet this frequent occasion. The, Dad.

The Classic Harpist said...

Re: wedding picture. What is on your left leg? Do you have some loathsome disease? I shall be forever impressed by your ability to make a fool out of yourself in any situation. Ah, genetics. Maybe you should read Miss Manners. At least you were not as sparkly as the groom.

Perhaps cleaver juggling can be one of our Festivus feats of strength/agility. It will be part of the triathalon along with Golden Christmas Bike racing and lefse buttering. Mother will declare us all "winners". Grandma will tell us all "GOOD JOB!".

There - was that acid enough to outweigh The Mother's syrup?

The Classic Harpist said...

Camber: Mother is getting impatient, I can feel it from here. Post another weblog.

Anonymous said...

way to go, Devon!