Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pulitzer Rugby with Neil Simon

Beijing was spectacular--and a bit of a spectacle for some...BUT, I've missed some earlier events and since I'm not really up for a full commie write-up at this time (plus, I need to acquire more photos from my incomparable travel buddy, David)...I'm just going to picture dump pre-Jing events and let my public wallow in anticipation a few more days.
Way way back, I mentioned that I was in a commercial for the drunken brawl known as the HK Rugby Sevens. Incidentally, the event is now being blamed causing HK's record high pollution index today. You can barely see me in the commercial, if you know where and exactly when to look. Barely. Since I know the exact moment and position on the screen, I see myself every morning on the TV in the train station. Makes me feel so celeb until I realize that if you're on the train, you shouldn't have to take the train.
Picture DUMP from filming day:



"The Odd Couple (Female Version)" took Hong Kong by storm from March 9 to 13. Incredible cast, team, and crew. It's not a rip off Neil Simon--he changed the gender of his original about 20 years later in order to show a female side of the situation. Again, let's picture DUMP. Please keep in mind that this was set in 1984.
The ladies with Paul and Teri, Director and AD. Paul is such a dashing Irish lad:

At the after party:

My Act 2 costume...Virginia Coultas' skirt from the 1940s. Thanks to my mom's ridiculously generous box of candy (which I of course shared with the cast), I had to go to the gym on the final performance day to make sure this skirt would still fit:

Act 1 costume, however, I could fit about 3 other pairs of pants under those hideous jeans. Notice the zipper...then try, just try, to erase that image from your memory:

Final mini-dump: Junot Diaz, Pulitzer Prize winning author of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. I attended a literary discussion of the book (which The, Dad, and I are currently reading these two weeks). He's definitely the coolest Pulitzer Prize winner I've ever met. He's a dude from the DR with mad nerdery. At the book signing afterward, my line friend Jackie was nice enough to photograph my discussion with him.
Starts out with me saying something awkward and confusing:

Then he talks and it gets better:
And we're friends! Even on facebook. Junot before this shot: "Hide the book!" :
Now all is clear for Beijing---I can hardly wait to divulge it all (mmmaybe not ALL, some things from Beijing are better left in Beijing. Like silken coats.) Oh, a teaser.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Orange hair beats a pink Superman/scuba diving suit any day of the week. However, getting "big bucks" may make anything worthwhile.

Camber Carpenter said...

Whatever, Mother. I know that's you. And it's a giant pink sperm, by the way. And it's my friend, Aaron-we did Tom Saywer together--he was the creepy pediphile preacher. I think he's been typed.

Anonymous said...

Camber: Please settle an argument between your mother and me. Is that a wig, or is it your real hair, marvelously refashioned? Please answer carfully and truthfully; a lot is riding on this.

Cathy said...

Grandma would be so happy to know that her skirt was used for one your performances! I'll be sure to inform her. I'm typing this from a hotel in Chicago while I await the wedding events of Jon Fox and Katie Junta. You'll be missed!!!