Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Essence of the Bun

I have learned the story of Scott. Scott is a guy I've seen kind of lurking about the office with a generally mysterious air. Turns out, Scott is a Kung Fu master who spent years trying to break into the Cantonese film scene. He got so good that they offered him a fight scene with Jet Li. Then the day before shooting, he cut his foot open on a sword.
I went to aMoon Festival celebration a few nights ago, and here is some photographic evidence:

This is I with swan lanterns. Lanterns are a big deal for this festival. In the past, before people worried about minor issues like public safety, they played a game called "Candles." Apparently, this game involved making a giant fire and throwing candles into it. Now, something may have been lost in translation, but since this is the only story I have, I will assume its truth.
Here I am, holding a lantern (they still have real candles inside). The guy is Tim, my castmate, coworker, associate, and other euphemistic terms.
Joan, Angel and I in front of another lantern display. Yes, family, that is a rainbow.


Now here comes the good stuff. Joan and I both had Monday off (for the Moon Festival is a public holiday), so we took a ferry to Cheung Chau, an island west of Hong Kong and formerly a pirate haven. We hiked the entire island and almost never passed out. A highlight was the pirate cave of Cheung Po Tsai--you know, the notorious and treacherous pirate from the early 19th century. I wanted to go spelunking, but as you can see, the cave is still guarded by impenitrible forces:
Actually, this kid just told me to be careful (in Cantonese, which I appreciated--people old enough to see that I'm a Westerner assume I can't speak Cantonese. They assume correctly, of course, but it was nice not to be a foreigner for once, even if it was in the eyes of a little boy.)
Joan and I outside the "bulu" or "cave"--to be honest, it looked more like a crack to me. Cheung Po Tsai must have been a narrow man, or perhaps a shape-shifter.


Boat parking lot in Cheung Chau. Many fisher-families still live on boats.

A highlight of Cheung Chau is the Pak Tai Temple. I don't take pictures of monks (they're devout religious men, not tourist attractions), however, I will take a picture of the creepy giant whale bones they keep in a backroom of Pak Tai:

On our hike through the mountainous island, we came across do-it-yourself fire extinguishers. We practiced, just in case. At the end of the day, we took a sampan (some guy's little boat) back to the main ferry for $5 (about 64 cents American). And for anyone who says that Hong Kong is "soul-less":

5 comments:

PALOMA said...

Poor Scott.

The Classic Harpist said...

CROCS!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey you, just wanted to let you know I'm trying to keep up with the blog. Hope everything is going well, keep up the updates!!

Anonymous

P.S. Have you located the Magic cards yet?? Because that was fifth on your list...we'll make sure to save you a plate at Hobo Day.

Anonymous said...

Camber: Neighbor Hood here! Enjoyed reading your blog. Gosh, I'm jealous!! (not really!) I'm so impressed that you're so adventurous. Most exciting thing here is the new pavement to your folks' house and I get to see your cute little red car parked near my driveway.

Anonymous said...

I see that the author of today's entry in the Upper Room is the General Secretary of the Methodist Center in Hong Kong. Have you seen the Center? What does a general secretary do? Generally answers the phone and types letters, I suppose. Check him out. The, Dad.