Sunday, November 16, 2008

Macbeth Mullet

It wasn't until I was sitting on my couch teaching a little (ssyou ssyou) Cantonese to my new Swedish juggler friend that I realized how long I had neglected my public from such pertinent updates.
Her name is Moa, which is confusing because "moa" means "no" in Canto. So, when I first met her and asked her name, I thought she was telling me "no," as in she wasn't going to tell it to me. We managed to get past that and past the ancient feud between our peoples (the Swedes and Norwegians).
As for work, we have about 5 or 6 shows this week, including the "premiere" of the Shakespeare show and (at long last) the final Greek mythology show. Shakespeare is going surprisingly well. It's sort of like Complete Works Abridged. We introduce R&J, Midsummer, Hamlet, and Macbeth. Macbeth is kind of a metal star, complete with a muscle shirt and mullet wig. I play Lady Macbeth and get to wear a hot pink mullet wig. Don't act like you're not jealous. I'm also Hamlet, which is convenient as madness seems to come fairly naturally to me. Tim taught me some swordfighting and we get to have a seriously intense battle as Hamlet and Laertes. Man (our boss) won't let us use real swords. We just wanted to make everything accurate and realistic...always thinking of the kids.
Last week, I saw Billy Joel. To speak the truth, I really heard him more than saw him. Hence, the lack of photos. I took some poor-quality video which I may try to post on here later. Fantastic concert, including a stirring rendition of "Highway to Hell" as performed by his roadie of 30 years, Chainsaw. No one guessed we'd hear an AC/DC song on Billy Joel night.
At musical rehearsal for the high school kids:
"Stop flirting with my butt."
Mom, I think I understand why you like HS kids so much. I've somehow stepped into a mentor/counselor/wise old sage role for some of them. They come to me for help with preparation for speech competitions, juggling, boy problems. Boy problems are my favorite. It's the ultimate in acting. I act like I know what I'm talking about. One girl lives completely in her imagination. A real-life Don Quixote. I think she's fantastic, but not surprisingly, her peers don't appreciate her.
I seem to be rambling; I have too many things floating around in my head to be at all concise. Perhaps I shall leave you for the moment and return when I have pictures...and a puffy shirt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some of us seek out your blog nearly every time we pass a computer screen. Thanks for the update and it warms my heart to hear of Norske and swede making peace. Notice the caps and word order to identify this writer for what she is! you know

Anonymous said...

Alas, no Coriolanus! I knew him well.