Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Foreign Policy

Aberdeen is the 3rd largest city in South Dakota. It is also a settlement in the southern part of Hong Kong Island. I visited the latter last week. Behold, a view of the harbour:Like anyone would, the first thing I did in Aberdeen was ride around the harbor in a sampan with an elderly lady. She thought it would be funny if I wore her hat and drove the sampan, despite my insisting that I was not qualified (to drive, not to wear the hat--which I find quite smashing):

Aberdeen is known for its "Jumbo Floating Restaurant." The name really says it all, but the pictures say it with more...gaudiness:
Aberdeen is also where an ancient people, the Hoklo, live: Over 5,000 Hoklo live on boats in Aberdeen's harbour, despite the Chinese government's efforts to move everyone onto land. They've been doing it for 2,000 years, so why stop now? Interesting HK fact: if everyone went outside of the buildings at the same time, there wouldn't be room to stand. Meaning the area of Hong Kong is smaller than the area of its people. One of my favorite things to do is just walk around and explore. Inevitably, I end up in a place where I'm not really supposed to be. In Aberdeen, I ended up at some sort of fisherman gathering.

I also took myself on a self-guided colonial tour of Hong Kong. Dad, this is for you. Few colonial structures remain, but I did manage to find some gems. The first: Battery Path:


Impressive, I know. This was built by the Brits so they could more easily roll their canons and other heavy artillery up the hill. At the top is the old French Mission which is now some sort of Chinese judicial building:


Right across the garden is St. John's cathedral, the oldest ecclesiastical building in Hong Kong:


I went inside and listened to a piano recital. It's a bizarre place--it attempts to be a cathedral, but the inside looks more like a 50s diner with pews. But check out what St. Paul's has going on:

That's right, it's Paul's 2,000th birthday! Time to party.

And finally, my favorite colonial-era building:This is half FCC (Foreign Correspondents Club, whatever that is. I correspond with foreigners, but that apparently does not qualify me for membership) and half Fringe Club--a venue for theatre, art, and music.

That afternoon, I hiked Victoria Peak, but the API (air pollution index) was so high, none of those pictures turned out.

WARNING: Some people (easily nauseated, prone to seizures, or leftist) may find the following photos disturbing. Proceed with caution.

I went out on Halloween as Sarah Palin. It was the most frightening thing I could think of:

I made a sash that said who I was on the front and "McCain = Maverick" on the back. Much like what happened with the Penguin, the reaction was unexpected and overwhelming. I've never been so popular. Strangers, perfect strangers, approached me for photo opportunities. Here I am with my Taiwanese fan club on the train:

Some constituents on the street:

I actually know these people. Katy, as Amy Winehouse, and Henry as (young) Michael Jackson, are both teachers with DE:

Some people, fooled by my dramatic interpretation, thought I really was Sarah Palin. Parents sent their children to me. People chanted "Obama!" to me on several occasions. Some asked if I could see Russia. And I wasn't sure if anyone would even know who I was...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Palin costume Camber, and yes it definately is about the scariest thing you could have been. So, could you see Russia?

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! There are surely many more differences between you and Sarah Palin than lipstick.

And I bet it didn't even cost you $150,000!

Camber Carpenter said...

Thanks, Allison-and you betcha! I see Russia all the time, no matter where I am, dontcha know.

Ah, Mark, quite, quite. One difference between us that I have diplomatic relations with more foreign countries. According to my in-depth Palin research, she acquired her first passport in 2006.

The Classic Harpist said...

Where did you get those glasses? Malaysia?

Anonymous said...

You and Tina will both have to find a new gig. Palin impersonation will no longer be in great demand!--and just when you found this new identity too. Truly, the pictures amazed me at your resemblance. you know