Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Answer is Always "Monkey"

Yesterday, I auditioned several dozen children-type people for theatre shows. To start, I just ask questions about what they like to do--makes them feel non-threatened while I assess their English level.
I've had some interesting experiences doing this: a kid who cried on his mom's lap every time I asked him his age. A girl who, although I suggested she could sing "Happy Birthday" or "Twinkle, Twinkle," replied, "I will sing the Chinese national anthem." And so she did--in its entirety.
Yesterday, I had Queenie, age 4.

me: So, Queenie, what do you like to do at school?
Q: Monkey.
me: Oh! Do you have a game called 'Monkey'?
Q: yes
me: That's great. Do you play any sports?
Q: yes
me: What sport do you play?
Q: Monkey.
me: Oh...okay. Do you like music?
Q: yes
me: Do you play an instrument?
Q: Monkey.

So, when in doubt...Monkey.
I've been rubbish at blogging of late, as you can see as I tell tales of toddlers. Also, I can't find the cord that connects my camera to my computer, so I can't post recent photos of a hike where I saw many monkeys. Serendipitous coincidence defines my life.

I know I'm not supposed to talk of future events on the internet, in order to discourage predators, but in an effort to keep my blog readers waiting in anticipation for something worth reading: Soon, I will go to China for my friend's wedding. Although in recently past months, we had gone to movies and dinners and the like, he sent me a facebook message to the tune of: "Camber--I will marry on [insert date]. I invite you to go to my wedding." Right on. I have a hunch it's an arranged marriage of some sort and I am the token caucasian. My flatmate has warned me that I'm going to have to eat some disgusting things, so I plan to stock up on granola bars before I go.
I'm charging my camera battery now, so bate your breath for a pictoral review of being a foreigner at a Chinese wedding of an arranged marriage! I have no idea what to wear.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no idea of what to post but am thrilled to have a new one. Having just gotten home from a baby shower at church, I have these two messages. Virginia Coultas says that she loves and misses you--come home soon and Gina C. reports that she accepted a job in Chicago that is a maternity leave but hopes that it will help get her foot in the door for the future. She would have totally done the China thing but didn't have a lot of family support in that regard--just Ann C. I believe. Be safe and return to HK and let us know when you are back. Much love, mom

Anonymous said...

Is serendipitous coincidence redundant?

The,

Dad.

Meaghan said...

i want to know the full story of the deadly hike. it would make an excellent blog.

Keith said...

I can relate to your upcoming experience, having been the Presbyterian vocalist at many Catholic weddings. Much of the problem was language. It may be in the pronunciation of Ave Maria. Have a great trip.

Anonymous said...

The Source article is "Dyno-mite"!! Well done and get back from wherever you are now safely. Guess who?

Keith said...

Excellent article in the Source. I will pick up a couple of dozen and they will fly off the shelf at Franklin Bank. Of, course, your dad and I are on the cover, but I expect people to take them anyway. KB