Thursday, August 12, 2010

This is my Hatin' on the Kong Blog. I'll get over it.

I sold a painting. In my quest to relinquish myself of all extraneous possessions and live like a nomadic Gandhi, I posted several items for sale on a site for expats in Hong Kong. I sold my DVD player and space heater to an Indian family. I'll take my toaster to someone tomorrow. My tennis racket and hair dryer are still on the market. I even received several offers for dates from these ads (though that was not the intent)--due to the hilarious descriptions I posted along with the photos. I turned them all down.

As a joke, I also put my first and only painting up for sale. It was sold in less than 15 minutes to a handsome Chinese man with a British accent. He brought along a pen with which he urged me to sign the piece. I polled my friends on facebook to decide whether he really thinks I'm the next Picasso (for he said so) or if he's trying to steal my identity. I think identity theft won out, citing the "special pen" he brought, from which he will definitely lift my finger prints.

Other than being a famous artist, life has remained a steady flow of teaching classes, rehearsing for Rocky, and training for the 5K race. I can't run the 5K race anymore, due to work, which I did not know about until after I had already signed up and paid for the race. I'm more than ready to be free from these tethers of non-communication.

I'm actually more than ready to leave Hong Kong; mostly because of the air pollution, the slow walkers, the smokers, and the lack of sarcasm comprehension. I'll miss the curry, though. And the sushi.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your minimalist activities are an inspiration to us all. I was so moved that I put all the water-ruined furniture, etc. out for the trash man. I had intended to do that over an extended period instead of all in one week. You are my heroine.

The,

Dad.

Camber Carpenter said...

Thoreau would be proud.

By the way, that's pronounced
"THOReau."

Anonymous said...

Indeed.

The,

Dad.

Camber Carpenter said...

I think that was the blogpsphere equivalent of an air snap, yes?

Keith said...

It is said that when a person moves, it is a good time to clear out the junk. Nancy and I just moved. We took it all with us.Every bit of it. Buster Sanitation doesn't even know we are gone.
Congratulations. I overflow with envy.

Anonymous said...

Since I do not know what an air snap is, I cannot meaningfully respond to your inquiry. And besides, I do not have time to give it serious thought because I must prepare for my audition. (Rather sounds like your line.)

The,

Dad.

Camber Carpenter said...

Yeah, The, Dad, stop stealing my lines.
I have a feeling you have been pre-cast, but still give it your all to keep a good reputation within the theatre community.

Air snap: how our family answers comments that require no answer. Like about kindergarten.

Mr. Bradbury: when I was a kid, my dad left a note to Buster Sanitation. I saw it and (not knowing it was the name of the company) thought it quite rude to call the garbage collectors "Buster," since that was my mom's word of choice to refer to reckless drivers.

Anonymous said...

Now knowing what an air snap is, I can affirm that that was the blogospheric equivalant thereof.


The,

Dad.

Anonymous said...

[color=#99c9ff]Awesome post! thank you for sharing this information. hongkongcamber.blogspot.com really got under my
[/color] [url=http://nuscin-online.info]skin,[/url] [color=#99c9ff]bookmarked... Keep up the good site...[/color]

Anonymous said...

site web Sweet, je n'étais pas venu sur votre blog avant dans mes recherches! Continuer sur le travail fantastique!

Anonymous said...

Lovely sharp post. Never thought that it was this easy. Extolment to you!.