Friday, October 3, 2008

It's no Spain...but it will do.

When I wear fake muscles and a toga for the Greek show, I have to hang around the exhibit as I wait for my turn to thrill the kids with fun facts about jugs. During this time, I have grown accustomed to people (not on our tour) laughing at me or taking my picture next to a Herakles statue. I got a new one yesterday. An older lady approached me and started asking me questions, as though I were the curator or a registered expert on the subject.


"I'm sorry, I don't know which tribe destroyed the temple, but I can tell you the difference between and amphora, a kylix, and a hydria."

I helped the new actor we hired, Eric, to move to Hong Kong from Macau. It's only an hour by ferry to get there, but since it's a different "country," I got to go through customs and activate my work visa. With a giant empty suitcase in hand for him to fill with his accouterments (I'm getting away from using "stuff"), I set off for Macau a few hours early to tour around before meeting up with Eric. Macau was a Portuguese colony until 1999. Signs are written in Chinese and Portuguese, English if you're lucky. It's amazing how much Portuguese one can read when Chinese is the only other option. Also, the colonial architecture is preserved much better than it is in Hong Kong.

It also looks like a comic book:


One of the most famous sites in Macau is this, the Ruins of St. Paul:



Japanese Christians built this cathedral while they self-exiled themselves to escape persecution in Japan. Everything except this, the stone facade, burned down in 1835.

And here I am, posing obnoxiously with it:


Yes, I was ridiculous enough to climb to the top with a giant empty suitcase. This next photo is a fine example of Portuguese architecture. In other words, I have no idea what it is:



I ended up getting really lost and wandered around back alleys where I saw this store. Those are fish, hanging out to dry.


Since Eric will be living on his own, I have set out to find a new flatmate. The search has yielded unexpected results. The result I expected was to never find anyone. As of right now, I have 5 people coming to view it tomorrow. The key is honesty. I wrote the ads in my usual style/tone and was sure to mention the lizards.

One more from Macau:

4 comments:

PALOMA said...

Definately not Spain, we hang Jamón out to dry, not fish..

You're a Mazing A, Camber!

Anonymous said...

it's a random visit through the ad you put on the facebook, but it is actually interesting to see people to view Hong Kong from their own vision.

guess you hv already visited the "bread" and "cake" stores next to your apartment.

from the one who used to live in Quarry bay for most his lifetime.

Anonymous said...

Don't the curvey lines in the steets make you dizzy?
The,
Dad

Anonymous said...

As it is officially your natal day in your time zone---HAPPY B-DAY from the very one who remembers it well. Much love and stay cool.