Monday, March 16, 2009

Brush with Fame

I still don't have my camera--turns out that the schedules of an actress and a French banker are difficult to mesh.
Despite the lack of photos, I must relate this story: a group of us went to Mong Kok this weekend for dinner and karaoke. As we were walking in the packed streets, I hear, "Penguin! Penguin!" Two girls stop me, "You're the penguin!"
"Yes, yes I am."
"We're from the ----- school!"
"Of course, I remember you." = Lie. But I did remember the school.
I never would have pegged these two as secondary school students. They were dressed like ladies of the night (is that politically correct terminology?) and had more make-up on their faces than I have in my room. Last time I saw them, they were probably wearing matching over-sized sweaters, plaid skirts, and tall white socks. Lovely students, really.
But the point is that my fame as the penguin is spreading. The message of environmental protection, through the penguin, is reaching out to Hong Kong students, and making a deep enough impression to cause them to approach the fish-bird.

Also, a Hong Kong TV station wants to air a scene from the high school musical I've been working on. Matthew, the head director, chose the scene/song that I directed!! My students will be on TV next Sunday; I hope to go with them for moral support. They have worked so hard and absolutely deserve this.

9 comments:

PALOMA said...

Yay!! Our own famous Meep!

And congratulations on your scene/song, YOU deserve it! =)

Anonymous said...

a quote from Meryl Streep: "Integrate what you believe in every single area of your life. Take your heart to work and ask the most and best of everybody else, too." This is how you seem to live--and your "kids" end up on Hong Kong TV! Kudos

Camber Carpenter said...

mom--you know who Meryl Streep is?

That's all.

Anonymous said...

sure I do! I love to impress you with my vast knowledge. Also, she has NEVER been a crossword puzzle clue.

The Classic Harpist said...

I would have never pegged The Mother for a Meryl Streep savant. Live and learn.

I wish people thought I was a penguin.

Anonymous said...

OK, I've had enough. Tell me who this Meryl Streep person is.

The,

Dad.

Anonymous said...

I don't know, I think she's the illegitimate son of the king of Guam.

How many things are wrong with that sentence? Can you count them?

c

The Classic Harpist said...

Oooh, counting. This weblog gets more exciting by the day.

Keith said...

Me thinks I may have to raise my TV antenna to bring in that station.
KB