Thursday, March 12, 2009

Heartbreak Hotel

Recently, we've added a lovely and talented young lady from London to our studio staff. I have the opportunity to assistant direct under her for the educational musical drama, "School House Rock, Live!" I use the words "educational," "musical," and "drama" with utmost sarcasm. However, I'm looking forward to working with her. At our first rehearsal last week, Sarah had to deal with some sort of bureaucratic issue and left me alone with our 15 little angels--all under age 10. Like anyone would, I decided I should reveal to them the splendor of the noun. We spent a good 15 minutes naming off all sorts of different nouns and scorning all verbs and adjectives. I counted it as a success.
When Sarah returned, she wanted to start teaching the song which we decided to do with a country-western theme. She asked, "What is a cowboy?" To which one astute student replied, "A noun!"
Sarah glanced at me quizzically, I shrugged, and the show went on.
I've also started ADing for "Seussical--the Musical" under the venerable Mr. Matthew. These songs haunt me. My life is beginning to rhyme all the time. gah!
No pictures--and this is not because I haven't been anywhere. au contraire. I went way out west with my good friend, Romain. We saw HK's oldest pagoda, ca 1300, unique temples, ancestral halls, etc. We also ate at a NEM place. No English Menu. My Canto is actually good enough now that I can become friends with restaurant staff and not worry that they'll serve me squid brain as a joke. BUT, Romain accidentally kept my camera and therefore all of the pictures. I'll probably get my camera back soon, unless he's actually a klepto and then I'll never see him nor the camera again.
I have about 4 days off in April and plan on travelling--having a hard time deciding where to go, so I'm open for suggestions: Beijing/Nanking/Sherzjazwan---Vietnam---Taiwan--Chengdu--Cambodia--Guam--S. Korea--Rwanda. I think I'll nix Rwanda because I'd spend over 2 days in travel and I'll nix S. Korea because they're throwing 'satellites' in the space. Obviously, Devon wants me to go to Malaysia and buy glasses. Not sure a Seinfeld joke is *quite* worth it. Yes, I said it.
Many of you have inquired about Elvis. Sarah does almost daily:
S: "So what's the word on Elvis? Do we talk about him?"
I haven't heard from him in a while, so...
me: "He ain't nothin' but a hound dog."
S: "As long as you're not cryin' all the time."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking (as you were) of parts of speech, I am wondering how the word "assistant," in the second sentence of your epistle, would be categorized. It looks like a noun. However, it sounds somewhat like an adverb. Or is an adjective? I need direction--and, perhaps, a life.
The,
Dad.

Caitlin Rose said...

Don't go to Mongolia yet! Despite the significant time difference, it is actually not big enough for me to be there yet. I will be there soon and you should visit then.
In the meantime...
This is a story all about how
I like jackets in the style of mao
but no, it is about my friend
who make speak in rhymes 'till the end
which actually wouldn't be too bad
'cept for Camber, who would be sad
'cause her name rhymes with nada
but as they say, "yada yada yada."
love, C

Camber Carpenter said...

Dad-- Assistant: adjective describing "director"...not assistant TO the director, but assisant director. Office fans, anyone?

Maitlin--your talents never cease. I can picture you writing children's books in Mongolia. of course, they will have inside Seinfeld jokes scattered throughout.

The Classic Harpist said...

I have my own Malaysian glasses, thank you very much. You should come visit me in South Bend, since we are not sending satellites into "the space".

I think Guam would be cool. Or Papua New Guinea. But mostly because I can say "Poo" and Mother doesn't give me a look of scorn.

We need to get The, Dad on Spacebook. Then he can at least have a virtual life.