Monday, March 2, 2009

Welcome to the Jungle

After 4 months of rehearsal, we finally put up both productions of "The Jungle Book" to packed houses. Packed with mostly parents, probably, but packed nonetheless. I spent 12 hours at the theatre, rehearsing with the first group, eating lunch with them, their performance, and then as the first group did curtain call, the second group was ready to start their rehearsals and the entire process again...My jobs for the day were eclectic---helping change costumes, put on make-up, gently reminding the students of the importance of being quiet backstage, and generally keeping the peace. I don't have a lot of time right now; I'm leaving for a hike soon, so I'll just plaster this with photos and do another blog later.

I made those ears. And the tail you can't see...


Shere Khan the tiger! He was epic.

Tiger again and Bagheera the panther. I also made those ears.



Father Wolf. also played a mean elephant.





First group cast.





The other cast's tiger--mildly camera shy.






Coconut tree and butterfly






One of my favorite costumes--the rock.
He won best actor as voted on by the students. There are no small parts.











The other Bagheera and her sister as the flower--I made that pink thing, too. My talents never cease, eh?
Quick thing...
As I was at the train station after the shows, an older looking Indian guy came up to me and the following conversation ensued:
guy: Which way to Lan Kwai Fong?
me: exit D, turn left
guy: where are you from, anyway?
me: US, you?
guy: *unintelligible*
me: um...Uganda?
guy: No! UK London!
me: okay, sorry.
guy: You know, I really like Microsoft.
me: hmm
guy: You know why?
me: no
guy: Because I'm a big fan of Monica Lewinski.
This was the moment I fled.
This doesn't make sense, right? Or am I out of the loop? Am I not perverted enough to get Monica Lewinski jokes?
Also, I think I'm starting to look a bit Chinese. Today, a lady at my gym asked me (in Cantonese) if I were mixed. I can't be sure but I think I accidentally told her that my dad was Chinese. OR I may have agreed to wear a puffy shirt.





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suspect that you misunderstood the older looking Indian guy. He undoubtedly was explaining to you that he is a big fan of monocle links. Wars have been fought

The,




















































































































You obvioulsy misunderstood the Indian guy. I am sure that he was explaining to you that he is a big fan of monocle links. Wars have been fought over misunderstandings like this.

The,

Dad.

The Classic Harpist said...

Aren't you glad The Mother taught us to sew, wink, wink? It sure comes in handy when you need a pair of mouse ears. I thought you could have found a more authentic pair at a local market. Same goes for the donkey tail.

Maybe the older Indian guy was actually The, Dad. I can see how you might have been confused. You were thinking: Perverted old man. Indian guy/Dad was thinking: Stylish eyewear. And he knows all about Windows.

Be sure you don't steal the puffy shirt from my closet. Arrrgh.

Anonymous said...

Devon,
I wouldn't take your puffy shirt if you gave it to me. Also, that's a monkey, not a mouse. Anyone can see that. But your comment about the availablity of more authentic ears at a market still holds true.

I think The, Dad, had a problem with the space key. Several times.
At least he knows that everything is Windows.

C

PALOMA said...

Haha!! Camber, you are great!

My favorite costume is the rock, too. I think we should have a Jungle Book themed party for all the Meeps. You can help with the ears.

The Classic Harpist said...

Yes, I am a little concerned that The, Dad's, overuse of white space will deprive my less determined fans of my witticisms. Wars have been fought....

My bad. Clearly a small, furry, rodent-like creature is a monkey. Can I be the rock? I do believe I am qualified, after participating in numerous Psalty musicals at church. I'll attach my CV.

Anonymous said...

Why does The, Dad, get blamed for everything?

The Classic Harpist said...

Typecasting, Dad. Typecasting.

A Ciarleglio said...

These kids are so cute! And I really want to be a rock in a play :) hehe. And you look so great Camber!!