Thursday, April 16, 2009

Singapore, Or "Shoot that where?"

Fact: Chewing gum is illegal in Singapore, punishable by a hefty $1000 fine.
Joan and I ceremoniously discarded our Orbit, along with all other illegal items of which we were in possession, at the KL airport.
The iconic symbol of Singapore is this:The Merlion. Half-lion, half-fish. It was created in 1972, which seems young to be iconic, but this is how tourism survives--make something up, take enough pictures and voila, you have an instant cultural attraction. This is representative of the fishing past of the city and the legend that someone saw a lion there once, granting the name "Lion City" to the republic. Singapore is a city-state, with a president who lives in what appears to be a jungle.
On our first day in Singapore, we went to the zoo, proud care-takers of my favorite primate, the Orang Utan.
They had this informative sign, talking about how each orang utan (which means "wild man" in Malay) is unique. My favorite was Satria, who often refuses to go back to his night quarters. Perhaps he needs to set some goals. After the day at the zoo, we went on a "night safari" which is riding a tram through another, different, zoo-type thing in the dark. After that, we killed some time before our bus departure by seeing a fire show. We watched as men in tribal Malay garb breathed fire and swallowed fire. Soon, they had opened the gate and pulled me onto the stage. In no time, I was holding a long spear, surrounded by 3/4 naked sweaty fire-breathers. Fairly typical at this point. I, of course, threatened to dismember them with the spear they had bestowed upon me. They recoiled and indicated that the spear was a blow-dart and I was to shoot the dart near the nether-region of a fellow tribesman, in a effort to pop a balloon which he had placed there. I indicated my reluctance, but they assured me that they would guide it.
Photographic evidence is unavailable at this time, as all pictures are on Joan's camera. I believe she took a plethora.
This place advertised a pink dolphin show:We settled for pink jellyfish:Japanese Something Crab. And Joan:White tiger on the prowl:Hanging out with giant fruit:
Almost every neighborhood in Singapore looks like this architecturally:Hindu temple; we don't have these in Hong Kong. I have seen innumerable Buddhist temples, but this was a first:And at night:Speaking of religious places, this mosque was just down the block from our hostel in Little India:
Speaking of Little India, Singapore's is legit. In our quest to find authentic Singaporean cuisine, we pretty much just ate curry and masala.
The second day, we toured the city, ate at Chocolate by the Bald Man (NYCers know), and went out dancing that night.
The last day, we went to Sentosa Island, just south of Singapore. We did touristy things, and then relaxed on a beach until we went to a show that night:
Considering my geographical obsession, imagine my excitement when I saw this sign:On the bridge:
Back in Singapore that night, we tried to cross another bridge:

If our cattle and horses can't come with us, no one goes. And we weren't sure if we exceeded 3cwt and didn't want to risk it.
Then we found some friends:
Our last morning in Singapore, taken in front of The Countryside Cafe, where we befriended the staff and ate several meals and had a Singapore Sling:

7 comments:

Tony said...

Fact. The act of chewing of gum has never been illegal in Singapore.
What is illegal is the manufacture, sale and import of chewing gum.
Singapore for about 2 years now has been slowly relaxing the rules of gum. You can buy chewing gum like sugar free orbit and nicotine gum at pharmacies in Singapore.
Glad you enjoyed your stay in Singapore!
:-)

Camber Carpenter said...

Thanks for the clear-up, Dwight.
I would never want to mis-lead my public.
Also, do I know you?

The Classic Harpist said...

Were you surrounded by 3/4 of a naked firebreather, or firebreathers who where 3/4 naked? If it is the former, you seem to be quite the expert with the spear. If it is the latter, I demand pictures.

Anonymous said...

Nether-region????? How quaint AND how nice of you to keep this blog PG.

Keith said...

When you had not posted for a couple of weeks I did the parent thing and feared you to be MIA. (I email with Lance Stafford in Afganistan and always worry if I don't hear from him right away.)
What a wonderful Singapore sling, I mean fling, I mean adventure. Thanks for sharing.
KB

Anonymous said...

Why can't I be your favorite? I'm an innocent primate.

The,

Dad.

Anonymous said...

I'm in a love/hate relationship with virtual memory because of how prices are always,and I mean always falling. I hate buying Micro SD Cards for my R4 / R4i at (seemingly) a cheap price only to see it become a whole lot more cheaper a couple of months later.

(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://cryst4lxbands.livejournal.com/398.html]R4i[/url] OperaV2)