Friday, June 5, 2009

Horton is Not a Gay Elephant

I'm still being proactive about not taking a camera anywhere with me. See how I twisted my forgetfulness into pro-activity? Everyday, I feel more and more confident that there is a place for me in American politics.
That said, I have begun Putonghua (Mandarin) lessons in earnest. According to Man, I can have a stimulating conversation in Mandarin with a block of wood. Watch out, in a few weeks, it might be with a single-celled organism. It's difficult to learn two different Chinese languages at the same time. Difficult, yet effective. Some words are very similar, but the speech patterns or perhaps "accent" is completely different. My Mandarin teacher has to keep telling me to stop speaking Mandarin like I'm a Cantonese speaker. This may be the first time I've ever been accused of being too Canto.
Last week, I went up to near the Chinese border to cook a meal at a develop mental home. It was a project for the church outreach team. The most fascinating thing was the fact that Valerie and Wendy, the British women in their mid-70s who run the place, can speak Cantonese to their residents. For one thing, I don't see very many old timer British people in HK at all. Most of them went back to the Isle in 1997 China took HK back. On top of that, they can speak Cantonese, which is basically unheard of for British people. Not to stereotype or anything.
I have several auditions for extracurricular theatre in the next two weeks. A slew of musicals...Millie, Sweeney Todd, and Aladdin. Unfortunately, I have only one day to prep for Millie. I thought I knew the story (that there wasn't one, but lots of tap dancing)...until I wikipedia-ed it and discovered that an old lady kidnaps adult orphans and tries to sell them as sex slaves in China...and Julie Andrews was in this? I'm still going to audition. I'm actually more intrigued. Like I always say, nothing goes together like tap dancing and sexual slavery. Apparently.
I'm taking leave between Aug.2 and Aug.19--at this point, I know not where the winds of travel will take me. I shall begin accepting bids.

11 comments:

The Classic Harpist said...

Can you say "Horton is Not a Gay Elephant" in Mandarin? That might entertain a block of wood.

I vote that you come to South Bend, Land of Enchantment. And muggings. But don't tell Gma. Or Anonymous.

Anonymous said...

Just what is a "develop mental home"?

The,


Dad.

Camber Carpenter said...

developmental home may be compared to a developmental center. "Center" just seemed a bit cold and distant. Too corporate of a tone.
Dev--tickets to your land are too expensive. Also, I have reason to believe that Anonymous sometimes reads these secret comments we share on here, so next time, use our code.

Caitlin Rose said...

Mongolian Caitlin throws in a bid of free ger accommodations and lots of fatty meat and vodka. Also ample opportunities for more potential umm... hunting?

Camber Carpenter said...

Um, Caitlin, have you forgotten? There's a huge wall between Mongolia and me. Some call it Great. While I would love to visit you, surely this wall will impede me. And I'll try not to call you 'surely' anymore. It just slipped.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous IS very aware!! Perhaps the Gma is somewhat aware. I'm sure that the SC works even from across the Pacific.

Monica Jibben said...

Hey Camber ~
I have really enjoyed reading your blog. You are such a fantastic writer!

There is a question I would like to ask you. It is private and probably not appropriate for your blog so...I was wondering if you could send me an email at mkjibben@yahoo.com and I will reply to it with my question.

Talk to you soon....Your cousin,
Monica

Anonymous said...

Camber, I miss you. You are fun. gavin van holland

Anonymous said...

Hey Camber,

This is your Aunt---I am in Jacksonville---sleeping in your bed--and doing Arbonne---whatelse--smiles.

Your mom has given me the grand tour of your blog site---it looks as if you are having a amazing time. I am so very proud of you--you go girl!!!!! Love, Aunt Sonja

Anonymous said...

For days I have experienced anxiety, emptiness, loneliness, and several other -esses. Indeed, I am nearly prostrate with internal agony. I have looked about me to attempt to identify the cause of this condition, but my search has been in vain. Then, it suddenly occurred to me that it is all attributable to the fact that I have seen no new entries on the American as Wok and Eggroll weblog for approximately six months. Please heal me.

The,

Dad.

The Classic Harpist said...

Perhaps The, Dad, needs to eat less fiber.