Friday, May 29, 2009

Singing with the Dragon

For some unknown reason, Matthew entrusted a cast of "Seussical" to my charge for an educational expo. They performed the first three songs of the show in snazzy bright orange polos.
I can't arrange the photos, I think because my aerobics instructor sent me a virus, so here they are in a lump. I hope:






The one with a kid and me was taken by his mother. She wanted a picture with me and I told her that my mom probably would want one too. Some things are universal.

I saw Seussical at my university a few years ago, but I didn't really get it. I wasn't too hard on myself, though, realizing that a bona fide Doctor wrote the literature on which Seussical is based.


I crooned (not coronered) again at the posh wine bar. I can't wait to take my parents there in July. They will feel so comfortable and at home. Romain and Nicole (two French friends) came to support, so I sang Autumn Leaves partly in French for them. It was a little nerve-wracking. With non-French people, I can fake it and no one is the wiser, but with legit French people, I actually have to say the correct French words, not mumbling with a French accent. Romain said it's his favorite song and he understood every word. Elvis and Michael (potentially a potential) also came out and as I sat there with the 4 of them, I realized that I was the only one whose native tongue is English...but the language of the evening was, of course, English. What a bully my language is.

I also auditioned for The Merchant of Venice, but the director, with great remorse, was unable to offer me a part. However, I will be learning how to play the tuba for a holiday band this year. Everything in life evens out.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to know that the chairs at the wine bar will be comfortable. You know who you are? You're Even Steven.

The,

Dad.

Anonymous said...

As long aa the wine bar is POSH, the mother will be quite at home!I am to buy surgical socks and aspirin for the prevention of blood clots in the legs during such as extended flight. Recommended by Dr. P for "old folks".

Anonymous said...

Are you really in HK or not? The first photo, as well as the sign on the back wall, would appear to indicate that you are in Ohio. If that is the case, please advise immediately; we can still cancel our plane tickets, and it is much cheaper to travel to Ohio.

The,

Dad.

Camber Carpenter said...

My friends are concerned for your health and the containment of H1N1. They advise the wearing of a surgical mask on the flight.
With the surgical mask and the surgical socks, you will be fully equipped to perform surgical tasks. And to embarrass me.

I can see that my student's shirt has misled some into the erroneous belief that I am actually in Ohio.

If I were to pretend to go to Hong Kong, but stay in the US, I would choose somewhere that wasn't Ohio. Perhaps a place that has Chinese people.

Caitlin Rose said...

I was told to wear surgical socks and aspirin too! Am I secretly a member of the "old folks?"

Anonymous said...

Caitlin Rose: are you going to wear aspirin????? English teacher you--keep us updated on your new life too. We read blogs of all Camber's little friends. The MOM , and no you are not one of us "oldies". Camber will have to get with the program and wear the socks and take the aspirin too. I'll buy three pair when I get ours.

Camber Carpenter said...

I will not join the surgical socks/aspirin cult.
And Caitlin Rose can wear aspirin if she wants to, Mom. Caitlin Rose can do anything.
I have a link to her blog on my sidebar (not to be confused with posh wine bar): There and Back Again.
She leaves in less than 2 weeks for Peace Corps in Mongolia!

The Classic Harpist said...

I am sorely disappointed in the comments thus far. Camber has provided us with much material, and yet you focus on Aspirin and embarrassing socks.

Did no one else notice that two of Camber's "potentials", and I quote, "came out"? Now this will be an even better reality show. Or at least the clothes will be more stylish.

Are the 'rents uncomfortable with poshness or wine? Or the French? I'm also amused that The, Mother's, typo referring to the wine bar is "AA".

You should really be more concerned about a virus from your aerobics instructor. Maybe you should get that checked before you develop the swine flu.

El condor pasa said...

I love tubas.


And Camber's The, Family.

Camber Carpenter said...

Thanks, Devon for finally latching on to my subtle hilarity.

And to Paloma, for loving tubas.
I told my grandma that you're coming to Hong Kong, fully expecting her not to be able to pronounce your name (she still has a hard time with my sister's married name, and she's had that over 5 years) but she automatically said it perfectly, thinks it's a great name, and wants someone to name their daughter "Paloma". You're a hit!