Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Parental Invasion

Alert readers may be aware that the Carpenter parental units recently came (and more recently left) my sphere of reality in Hong Kong. They required a little extra care and supervision than most travellers, which left no time for blogging.
In short, they did quite well--after the first few days.
The, Dad had a white suit tailor-made for him. This is the start of a new career as a Mark Twain impersonator.
The Mother learned that she cannot stand "the heat" --or uneven walking surfaces, or long-distance walking, or standing in an immigration line for an hour. Travel really is all about self discovery.
It was fun to have them here and show them off to various friends--it was particularly grand when two amazing ladies from Spain were here, Paloma and her mom, Maria. One special moment was when we wanted to try bamboo juice, only I didn't know the word for 'bamboo' in Cantonese, so I kept asking the people at the juice bar (in Cantonese, aiyah!): "You know pandas? Pandas eat this. Panda food juice?"--all the while using my fists to create panda ears on myself. Eventually someone in the next stall intervened and we got our juice.
I'll put up a pictorial review of the last 2 weeks as soon as I feel like it.
Now I have about 2 weeks until I get my own vacation: Zurich to see Alison, photographer extraordinaire, Scotland to visit Mark, witty and stylish pilot/cineaste, Chicago for an epic roadtrip with The Mother and anyone else brave enough to endure such an escapade, South Dakota to visit the Grandys and many dear friends, and finally Phoenix to see Kristen and Kent, cancer researcher and professional trumpet player, respectively--and newly engaged. All that packed in less than 2 weeks. Should be grand.
But until then, I'll keep you abreast (hehehe) of happenings in Hong Kong and a retrospective look at the Parental visit.

5 comments:

Caitlin Rose said...

What no Mongolian stop! I may disinherit you! love, C

Deirdre said...

I want a white suit and I want to be a Mark Twain impersonator, instead of a boring old nurse. I could have a white suit made and wear it while I work as a boring old nurse. You know, make things less boring.
Travel is all about self-discovery. I wonder what sorts of things you will discover in the two week whirlwind vacation it sounds like you are about to embark on (embark upon?)
Caitlin had tonsils from somewhere, but they have been removed and I cannot remember where they were from and thus their origins have been lost to the universe.
I am tickled to read about the parental unit invasion. It is great to know that even at your old age your parents can still amuse and amaze you. And vise-verse.
Well. Carry on, my little panda-eared friend.

love, d

PALOMA said...

You forgot about the toilet paper napkins and the hair dryers in the back... for ambiance, one might say.

Keith said...

Can't wait for the pics and hear of the adventures. What a hoot it must have been for you to give them the grand tour of HK. Do I need to hire an interpreter for our next bank board meeting or will the dad be able to slide back into his old routine?

The Classic Harpist said...

So the 'rents are back from the future? I'm sure it will be a smooth transition back to using forks in temperate climates with level walking surfaces through areas not related to immigration.

Don't worry, Mr. Bradbury. The only Cantonese phrase The, Dad, learned whilst in Hong Kong is "handsome boy". He may or may not have occasion to use it at a bank board meeting.