Sunday, August 30, 2009

And So On

Upon return to Hong Kong, the first thing I noticed was a major change to the train system. It's still taking me time to adjust. However, I went clothes shopping today and a salesgirl approached me with a particular item and said, "This one we have in big size," followed by a sweet smile and an affirming nod. Glad to know that some things never change. I think I've lost about 15 pounds since I moved here, but I'm still a giant. Shoes are worse. I wear a size 8 1/2 which most stores here don't even carry because that so ridiculously huge that Guinness should probably call me soon. Mom--send shoes. Anything except those creepy feet slippers you always wore in the early 90s. Flats, so the men I date aren't intimidated by my stature.

So now on to more pertinent and universally fascinating issues. The new TIE team has assembled and completed one week of rehearsals. We have Lindsey from South Dakota and Michael from Australia. We work so well together--Lindsey's amazing with characters, Michael is jumping in with the choreography. I'm there, too. I want to rename us "The Hong Kong Danger Duo"...youtube it.

And now, more retrospection. Alert readers will remember that my original plan was to visit Alison in Switzerland, then go to Scotland to visit the incomparable Mark. Mark, unfortunately, was diagnosed with the A1H1 strain of flu, commonly known as Swine Flu by everyone except people in Hong Kong and hog farmers. So I skipped my return flight to London and stayed with Alison. I didn't have a plan on how I would get back to London, but as we said whenever it came up, "Future Camber will figure that out." And she did...I took a lovely train from Geneva to Paris. Once I got there, I had about 12 hours to get to London in time for my flight to Chicago. No problem, it's not far. People have been known to swim across that thing. However, at the station, I searched for trains to London, only to discover that there aren't any. Had I not been able to speak French, I may still be wandering the streets of Paris. I asked around and someone told me that there are trains to London from the other station. Of course. So I got on the Metro and went to the other station and found a train to London leaving in about an hour. I decided to walk around the city. When I exited the station, I actually thought (in my sleep-deprived delusional state) that there had been a terrible mistake and I was in India. I still can't prove that I wasn't, except for the France passport stamp, which I guess is pretty solid.
On the train, I sat by a handsome and charming laser guy from Colorado, now doing a masters in Laser stuff at Princeton, with a summer internship in Europe. It's almost like we're twins, really.
We arrived in London, unscathed by our trip from Paris or India, and parted ways. I took the tube to Heathrow, where I half-slept/half-kept watch of my 'valuables' for about 6 hours until I could check in. The flight to Chicago seemed so short compared to HK flights. Plus, I sat by a guy who travels internationally with race horses. At the airport was the surprise of all surprises. I had expected that my mom would be there to collect me, but it was The Mother, The, Dad, Ann Coultas, and Daniel Coultas! They had even considered bringing a life-size cardboard cut-out of Barack Obama.
After lunch and much joyous reverie, mom, Ann, and I set out for South Dakota. I'm feeling I'm getting long-winded, so I'll quickly summarize in photographs the fantastic American tour.

I met up with Amber, poet:


Pat, Ann, and I went to Pipestone, MN, also known as Piperock:


Nikki had a birthday. The three roommates from 07-08 reunited for the first time since our dispersal in May 08. We had a thing when we lived together that whenever one of us shouted out "Trigonometry", all three would unite in the kitchen and strike the below pose. It was a glorious effort for us, with hectic schedules, to at least see eachother sometimes:


Of course, South Dakota's main attraction, Grandma, after treating us at Pizza Ranch:


I flew from South Dakota to Phoenix, where I stayed with Kristen (an SD friend) and had dinner with her and Kent, yet another SD friend. They showed me a giant cactus and helped me carry things:


Sorry for the long post, I should probably get away from the computer and go for a run so people will stop pointing out the big sized clothes to me.

13 comments:

The Classic Harpist said...

Grandma made the blog!!!

Anonymous said...

Shoes?? Really?? I'm right on it! Also, the blog is my lifeline especially since we can now feel the reality. That trip was fantastic! the mom

p.s. Grandma is tickled to be on the blog.

Anonymous said...

Re: The incomparable Mark. I am yet to be convinced that this person really exists. Every time there is a plan to meet him, something mysteriously upsets the plan. Please specify what the change is in the HK train system. I finally had it fairly well learned and do not want to be disoriented upon my return. You speak of going by train from Paris to London, but you do not mention the dreaded word "Chunnel." Did you refrain from that appelation due to my principled opposition to that project, or just because it was too much trouble to tell about it?

The,

Dad.

Camber Carpenter said...

Yeah, The, Dad, your principled oppositions are my primary concern when writing this blog.

Trains...the West Rail Line and the East Rail Line are now connected at Hung Hom station! Please try to contain your excitement.

I'm not sure The Incomparable Mark exists anymore, either.

Mom: Yes, really, cheap flat shoes in bold colors. No lace, obnoxious bows, or cartoon characters. Size 8.5--thanks!

The Classic Harpist said...

Isn't it cute when Camber has imaginary friends?

If you left out everything to which The, Dad, has a principled opposition, this blog would only contain references to the King of Thailand and Franklin Bank.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps "unprincipled position" would be a better characterization than "principled opposition."

The,

Dad.

El condor pasa said...

I'm glad The, Dad and I had the chance to contemplate a picture of the King of Thailand (risking getting kicked out of the Thai restaurant) and comment the world's Royal Fashion, in general.

Meaghan said...

um... camber how can you not want shoes with obnoxious bows? the hk girls will mock your feet if they are large and lack glitter or cats on them.
Don't listen to her mom! Get her some really horrible ones, with hello kitty on them!

Keith said...

No blog post from Aug 4 to August 27th left me here in small town USA with no contact with the surreal world. Look forward to hearing more of your adventures. (and I do, I really do, believe in Mark and not the way I believe in Santa and the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny)

Anonymous said...

Hello Kitty it is! Plus all I have found have teeny tiny bows on the front. Should I clip them off and leave a metallic staple showing? Please advise. The Mom

Meaghan said...

keep the bows. i've learned in hk, the more crap on your clothes the more the girls like 'em.

Camber Carpenter said...

mom, don't listen to Meaghan.
She wears tiger sweaters and patronizes a Hello Kitty couture shop.
haha, Meaghan, you know I jest.

But seriously, mom, ignore.

I refuse to conform to HK style. no lace, no ruffles, no 6 inch heels on a weekday, no fake eyelashes, no bows, ribbons, neons, or t-shirts sporting Engrish.

Anonymous said...

The box has been sent. The die (dye) is cast. Live with whatever arrives. Love, Mom