Saturday, September 5, 2009

And So Off

"My husband is a banana, so I have to use English a lot at home."
A woman said this to me last night at the gym. This is an example of how people use fruits and various other foods to illustrate racial realities and affiliations. Everyone here calls me an egg. A banana is someone who is "yellow" on the outside and "white" on the inside. I am an egg--the opposite of a banana. This isn't contained to Asia. In college, I tutored an American Indian student in French. She said she had a hard time fitting in with her tribe because everyone called her an apple.
I'm sure if I were an anthropologist, I could comment more profoundly. A banana and an egg may not be the best culinary combination, but it strangely makes sense on a relational level.
But let's go back in time again. Before I set off for Switzerland, I had the great joy of seeing my students perform Seussical: The Musical.

This is Yee Sin, who went from having one line in the last play, to a lead role with several solos in Seussical:


Horton the Elephant:


And the only photo I have of me with the director, Matthew (and Inga):


Also at the gym last night, my favorite aerobics instructor (mom and dad, you know her) told me that my shoulders are suddenly very toned. The only explanation (because regular exercise certainly isn't the reason) is the new penguin suit I have. This thing is much heavier than last year's version. To move the fins takes some serious power, and since I need to accustom myself to the limited mobility of the suit, I find myself wearing it often. And tap dancing in it often. So to anyone out there working hard to get toned shoulders, just get yourself a heavy penguin suit and do at least 100 flipper raises 5 days a week.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will never be able to eat an apple, a banana, or an egg again without thinking of its symbolic racio-societal implications. What would be the significance of apple juice?

The,

Dad.

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know that we are safely home and that Gpa is better. Sonja and I have found out that we really do have the "Power". With absolutely no communication, Sonja threw out Gmas old cookware at the same time I was buying her a housewarming gift at out local Shopko. Would you be able to guess what I bought??? Love, MOM

PALOMA said...

Camber, I'm seriously thinking of making a compilation of your best quotes. The title, of course, would be:

"This egg has a date with a banana tonight."

Ps. (Always) Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Paloma, You are exactlty right! A book title is born. C2's mom

Deirdre said...

Having gained some weight this summer and with shoulders in need of some toning, I am off to buy a penguin suit.
Thinking of you,

d

Camber Carpenter said...

Paloma, Deirdre, and even Mom--

you have a way of making me laugh outloud so much that the elderly man next door must wonder what's happening over here.

Keith said...

The family photo explains why the Dad wanted us to wear red flowered pant suits as a bank uniform. I will order them as soon as I can find them in the Land's End Catalog. Perhaps Tyler still has his and I can save a few bucks?
KB

Deirdre said...

And sometimes I laugh so hard at your posts that coffee comes out of my nose. Luckily this usually happens in the privacy of my own home and very early in the morning and no one knows it's happening save me.
And now you.
And anyone who reads this.
And my yellow who does much weirder things than this.

The photos are great. I love the one with the brother's short-set.
Cute. Totes. (as in totally).

love, d