Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Parental Invasion: Part Five, the Final Quest

Great risk accompanies the confusion of the captions of the following photos, so I'll summarize them and leave it to the reader to decide what is what.
I took the parentals to Lantau, home of the Big Buddha, which is an epic experience until you learn that it was built in 1996. Two of the three Carpenters present climbed the steps; we counted the steps using our knowledge of multiplication.
The, Dad, and I also went on a journey to the Wisdom Path, which you may think is grand until you learn it was built in 2005. You will notice a photo of The, Dad, in deep and great thought. Serendipitously, at the Path, we met a girl with whom I did a homeless ministry a few weeks ago. None of the below photos contain her. There are, I believe two stunning photos of docile bovines.
I've been to Lantau several times, but never had seen such creatures. They were in full force and caused our bus driver to avert collisions on two occasions.





The next set of photos includes a shot of all of us in the village of Mui Wo on Lantau Island, taken by a friendly Aussie who had a barbecue during the typhoon.
There's also an artsy one of a lighthouse. The, Dad and I ventured to this place in Macau. I'm not sure we ever told The Mother, but we got somewhat lost as we descended from this elevated location. We ended up on a jogging trail, which we believed would eventually take us to where we had left The Mother, but instead we did a complete lap (over a mile) until we ascended the mount again and found the trail of rice we had so cleverly strewn. We followed it back to The Mother, who was not in the best form at that moment. However, I decided against photographing that moment; you will, however, notice a seemingly unstaged photo of them--all smiles, even The, Dad. I should get a medal. Another one is of them at the Venetian--a hotel in Macau that thinks it's in Venice. It even has canals and gondolas running through it. We went there to see Cirque du Soleil's Zaia.






I think The, Dad, took more photos, which I'm sure he'll upload and send to me just as soon as he figures out how. Experts are pegging mid-2013 for that one. Stay tuned.

Life returned to normal after their departure. There was even a rainbow:


I'm not suggesting their departure and the rainbow are connected, I'm just observing. Since then, Tim and I recorded the music for the new TIE shows, Vera had a birthday, we had two Seussical performances, I got 3 guy's numbers in one night--and it was a Wednesday (the taxidermist is out of the picture due to incompatibility), I've signed up to run a 10K race with Dragon, the guitar guy (mom and Paloma, you met him) in November, and also started "training," only I don't know what I'm doing, so I make it up.
I leave tomorrow night for Switzerland and Alisun! (Scotland is out due to swine flu, which has infected my friend, Mark, further strengthening my parents' suspicions that he doesn't exist) so I'll tag along with Alisun for a couple more days before taking off for the US (South Dakota only; sorry Illinois friends and readers)

I may not be able to blog for a couple weeks (grandma's internet is realllllly slow, so slow it's like it doesn't exist, much like my imaginary British friend, Mark.)

3 comments:

The Classic Harpist said...

I did not realize that Buddha had horns. The, Dad, looks more like he is picking his nose than lost in deep thought. Although one may accompany the other.

Your imaginary friend amuses me. Have a safe trip, and I'll try not to be too offended that you don't care to visit me.

Anonymous said...

Now the world knows why The, Dad, does not want to be seen smiling. An apparant lack of teeth upon that occasion encourages him to be grim.

The,

Dad.

Caitlin Rose said...

i have met mark and your family has met me. I will testify to his existance. Although, i could have been drugged. love, C