Saturday, August 23, 2008

and so on...

I don't really remember what I was going to write about in that last post I didn't finish. Guess you'll have to wait for the memoir to come out.
Yesterday, all of Hong Kong shut down for Typhoon Nuri, which reached a 9 on the scale of typhoonitude, or whatever. If the Observatory hoists an 8, then all schools and businesses must close. However, when I had to leave for work at 7:00, it was at only a 3. Half-way there, I received a text from Tim (the Aussie who always carries a plinth around), saying today's cancelled. I went back to Tai Koo and since nothing at the time was collapsing on my head, I decided to wander my 'hood, if you will. I saw an entire giant hog, completely intact, splayed out belly up in an alley, apparently for sale. I somehow resisted and went to the grocery store, with the stellar idea that perhaps in a typhoon, everyone else will stay home and I could possibly avoid the nightmarish shopping experience of the day before (did I mention that?--every aisle packed---I don't know what anything is--nothing really comes ready-to-eat and I have no cookware yet---all so tragic) So I went during the typhoon (the store was open for about 4 hours rather than 20) and while it was nowhere near empty as I had expected, it was less crowded than before, leading me to make the decision that I will perform my grocery shopping exclusively during typhoons at an 8 or higher.
As I wandered the aisles, I found an eclectic selection of juices. Several of them contain aloe vera. This was a ground-breaking cultural understanding moment for me. They put aloe in their juice, I put aloe on my sunburns; and yet we manage to get along.
One quick retrospective note: to anyone who asked which direction I would be flying to get to HK, east or west, and to whom I answered "west", I lied. We went north, scooting by the north pole, then down over Russia, Mongolia, over Beijing. Ah, yes, the Olympic spirit. I can feel it daily. Therefore, I am inspired daily. The equestrian events were held right here in Hong Kong, but I was unable to obtain tickets for any of them. Signs of the games are ubiquitous in HK. The slogan "One World, One Dream" is so inspirational, I'm convinced that Barack Obama wrote it for them.
Speaking of Obama, he is frequently talked about on Chinese news. I have no idea what they are saying about him since his name is the only word I can understand in any news broadcasts. HK is having their own elections in a couple weeks and a candidate for whatever office was parading around by my MTR station. He didn't try to solicit my vote. I wonder how he knew I wasn't Chinese?

5 comments:

The Classic Harpist said...

I'm glad that today was cancelled. I got nothing done, so it would be nice to have a do-over.

Jeff & Margaux will see Barack tomorrow in Boing. And the 'rents tonight. I'm not sure it's worth it, but whatever.

Drink your aloe.

Camber Carpenter said...

Hey Dev--do you think I can cancel tonight, too? my American flatmate may or may not arrive tonight, but if she does, it will be after 1am---and I have a shows tomorrow starting at 10:30.......bleh.

The Classic Harpist said...

What has Hong Kong done to your article/quantity agreement? A shows? I'm so disappointed.

Anonymous said...

So how frequently are typhoons scheduled in Hong Kong? With there already being 17 annual holidays, I am wondering how anyone gets anything accomplished. How long does a typhoon last?

Camber Carpenter said...

This particular typhoon lasted (at 8 or above) for only a day--I went to work the day after at a T3.
Classic Harpist---I no know.
Wendi came in at 4:15 in the morning today. we both managed to get up and out by 9:30...uff-da.