Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Local Mixing

I got a gym membership because several locals (perfect strangers) said, in so many words, that I needed to. It's apparently completely socially acceptable to offer such suggestions.
It has been fantastic--I went to aerobics and yoga this evening, and each instructor approached me after class. Apparently, I stood out for various reasons. Both of them conducted class in a bizarre mix of Cantonese and English. I told them to just stick with Cantonese to accomodate the masses (I avoided a communist joke at this point), and that I would be able to observe and follow along, as movement is universal. The gym also offers some free personal training, so I had a session with the only English (or Engrish) speaking trainer, Eric.
We went through the basics and he counted my reps outloud. I said to him, "We're counting in Cantonese from now on," and I finally feel I have a firm grasp on 1 through 20. He was sure to warn me about the number 7, and if I say it wrong, it can be "foul language." Then he went on to teach me some foul language, and this is what it was: "Poke/eye", which separately means "to fall on the street," but when put together it is quite "foul." He also taught me some practical things such as which bank I should use (assuming I ever get a visa). He laughed when I told him that I've been saying "doe-tjay" to everyone, thinking it means a simple "thanks" when it actually should only be used only on the very special occasion of receiving some fabulous gift. Live and learn.
A friend I met in France gave me great advice about how to really dive into a new culture: "get a haircut"---and I find it to be so true. You have to go to the places where regular people (not tourists) go and put yourself in a situation where you have to TALK to a person one on one. My new roommate is completely resistant to the culture. She won't eat anything, she constantly wants to go find white people, and would rather go to the beach than see the Po Lin Buddha. It's a bit difficult to experience Chinese culture eating a burger in a booth of a TGIF. Or a Ruby Tuesdays--yes, for real. I need desperately to find some more adventurous friends. I did meet some of the Dramatic English teachers today, and they seem much more open to abandoning (temporarily, at least) that which is familiar (fish and chips) for that which is unknown (...yeah, I can't even pretend to pronounce what any of us ate for lunch today).
We just today revamped the Greek mythology show, and added Wendi, my roommate, to the mix. She's a very talented actress and made performing the show a much more enjoyable experience than it was with the other girl (pampered little bratty model whose Herakles sounded more like Janice from Friends than an epic hero). Now if only I could get her to eat Pad Thai...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep the posts coming, Camber! This will be my only "fun" prose to read all semester, so make it good (no pressure!)

Sound of Music was incredible!!!! (Is it bragging to say so?) we had a combinde 4-night audience of over 1200 (tickets counted, that is), so it's now officially the most successful show BCT's ever done . . . which is good cuz I spent over $2500 on my own various credit cards (yay for plastic!) to purchase stuff for this show.

I'm so glad you're having fun & exploring the culture. A college friend of mine did something simlar and ended up staying for 5 years! :-)

Miss you lots!
JBA

Unknown said...

So I this being the first blog I have ever read, I believe it to be good. Although while reading all of you're posts backwards, I started at the top and went down not bothering to look at the posts dates..oh well. I eventually got it. Well I enjoy it very much, I feel very multi cultural now. Plus I was drinking tea while reading, and listening to the "Lion King" on Broadway. I know the lion king is not set in Honk Kong, but i think it could be.

PALOMA said...

Camber, I love your blog!
I admire you in all your daily adventures, work, food, gym and language.

=)