Sunday, August 24, 2008

Look at this vase!

Today was my first performance day at the Hong Kong Heritage Museum. I guided about 50 kids and parents through the special ancient Greek exhibit and dazzled them with bits of knowledge about helmets and jugs. Contrary to popular belief, I am not an authority on ancient Greek artifacts. However, the Cantonese kids did not need to know that. I was stunned at their grasp of not only the English language, but of the material. I had prepared (as instructed) to speak to people with an extremely low level of English, but after a few minutes and some fairly insightful questions from 9 year olds, I dropped the old subject-verb-simple-sentence-do-you-understand? routine and got down to it.

We dressed the kids up in tailor-made togas, did the artifact tour, held our own ancient Olympic events, and then presented the play. I was shocked it all came together and even the obnoxious curator approved. It's not ready for Broadway or anything, but the kids enjoyed it and apparently actually learned from it, according to questions they answered at the end of the day.
1 down, 18 more to go....and we start rehearsing for the show, "Oops, I Killed a Penguin" (about the dangers of global warming) sometime soon, I suppose. The first performance of that musical is at the end of September. It's so different when theatre is not just a nightly gig and efforts can be put into it all day. Apparently, there is a version of the Penguin in Chinese and Tim thinks that we should do it rather than have Chinese people do it.
I have plenty of time to learn this ancient 9-toned language in time to perform on-stage to crowds of native speakers. The word "goi" has 32 different meanings. I'm beginning to think that Cantonese is not an Indo-European language.
I've picked up a few key phrases--enough to make cashiers and sweet old ladies on the subway laugh.
My new flatmate, Wendi, arrived today (4:30 this morning......). First time out of the U.S. for this American, and she's a little overwhelmed. We have Monday and Tuesday off this week. Plans to get out and see more of Hong Kong are in the works.
I just remembered that I've forgotten the Ancient Chinese Proverbs lately. Chalk it up to lack of sleep. And no wisdom is coming to me now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Camber, I went and saw Obama in Springfield and ended up with a horrible scalp burn. Who ever would have though to wear a hat while standing in direct sunlight for 5 hours? Well anyway, thanks to my new knowledge from your Hong Kong blog, I drank some aloe vera. I think I'm good to go now.

PALOMA said...

Goi!!

Make it mean whatever you want to. I say it means "Love-you-miss-you-enjoy".

But it has a few more meanings, I'll let you know...