Monday, February 9, 2009

Magic, etc.

Really quick (mostly) photographic update. Yes, I'm still without Internet and hurriedly write this from the cafe again. All photos are out of any sort of order. Enjoy.
The theme of the Chinese New Year parade: World's Happiest Party: Romain, my French friend, met a Roman and had a sword fight:

Chinese Romans are ubiquitous in HK. Yes, I have a balloon flower:


James and I caught a glimpse of this amazing marionette artist at the giant mall near my flat (I'm not going British, it's just that "apartment" has too many syllables to be associated with the size of my residence)

I was in charge of a group of 25 for a day-long camp called "Pearly Gates"...drama games and whatnot. Here are some of my students:

The teachers had to dress as angels for Pearly Gates and if the students did well in their dramatic challenges, we gave them letters, whereupon they had to create words--and then they took the words to the gate and if they were acceptable, could "save" a group member from hell and purgatory. Aisling from Bath and I were a dynamic duo:

James and I went to Fanling, almost as close to the Chinese border you can get. Parents like to dress their kids in traditional attire for Chinese New Year:

We went to Hong Kong DisneyLand! Don't worry, Steven, there are more pictures of Disney--these are all just terribly out of order. Also, a complete report shall be electronically mailed to you post haste:
Back at Fanling, a walled village:


Fanling. Ancestral Hall:


Disney was still in Chinese New Year mode. Nice threads, Goofy:

?:

Lion dancer at 10K Buddhas:
Disney again. I think I know what my next performance job will be:
Disney. This was taken by a German guy. I didn't really talk to him because the only phrases I know in German are "I love you" and "I have no legs". I figured either one would cause an awkward situation:
My family was in the Disney parade:Chinese New Year festival. My best guess us poop dolls:
Juggler buddy Greg and I before the CNY parade:

And a lion dance from Disney. It's probably anti-climatic. I didn't know when to stop filming:




Oh, I also had my first official Cantonese lesson. My venerable teacher, Susanna Ng, is a fantastic linguist, but she doesn't like my language jokes. And this morning, I went to the gym and worked out with the wife of the second-in-command ambassador of Ecuador to Hong Kong. You might say she's a fascinating woman.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wore my stunning pink hat in the parade at Disney! Glad you noticed. Any more costume requests?

PALOMA said...

"I have no legs" in German!??

Camber, ich liebe dich.

The Classic Harpist said...

ICH HABE KEINE BEINE!!!

I'm glad you remember the important things I have taught you.

Which one of the dwarfs am I?

Anonymous said...

anyone with as many cats as the classic harpist has to be sneezy.

The Classic Harpist said...

At first I thought that said sleazy. Compliment accepted.

Camber is clearly Bashful.

Anonymous said...

So which of the dwarves is The, Dad?

Anonymous said...

Okay, fam.
We've definitely established DevON as sleazy/sneezy
The Mother is probably Doc.
While Devon insists that I'm Bashful, I would bestow that one on The, Dad.
I claim Happy.
Jeff and Tyler get to fight over Sleepy, Grumpy, and Dopey.

The Classic Harpist said...

I thought for sure The, Dad would be Grumpy.

Anonymous said...

The, Dad, SLEEPY! Remember no-doz?

Anonymous said...

Do I remember No-Doz!? No-Doz is precisely why The, Dad is NOT Sleepy.

Anonymous said...

when it works! How long can we keep this up?

Keith said...

As an outsider, viewing this discussion at arms length, I am inclinedto make a judgement as to assigning the characters. However, wishing to maintain my friendships and my means of support, I shall decline.
Love looking at all your pics.
KB