Thursday, February 5, 2009

Oxen and Clowns

I write to you from a local 'cafe' where I'm not allowed to plug my computer in--and of course I'm nearly out of battery...so you luck out this time and need not sift through my extraneous text to get to the pictures.
All's well---we did our first performance of an (anti) Internet Piracy show this morning--HO JO (so early) I had leave at 6:15 this morning. aiyah.
Well, anyway, it went great. I get to pick on high school students as this drama is "interactive". There was a girl named Kinky on the panel. Just thought that was interesting. Not judging or anything. I hardly have room to do so since I try to convince people that my Chinese name is Muk Kayooooooh (wooden penguin).
Anyway, I've only had time to upload a FEW of the plethora of photos I've taken in recent days and weeks.
James and I went to the 10,000 Buddhas Monastery--an incredible place. They had amazing lion dancers there. Incredible. I'll upload a video of that in due time.
For now...a still shot:



The place was more populated due to the Chinese New Year holiday. Ringing the bells drives away demons. And evil mircrobes. I've got to say, I love this shot. Maybe I'll send it to NatGeo:



Inside the main temple at the monastery. Those are all little Buddha statues, each in a different pose:


That night, I had the privelege to participate in the Chinese New Year Parade in Tsim Sha Tsui. The theme of this year's parade was "World's Happiest Party". Was it ever. I got to be a clown for the first and hopefully not the last time. I was a superstar! I displayed no talent or intelligence, but the people loved me. Maybe it was because I was passing out free stuff. We did the route twice. Once as clowns, jugglers, acrobats, an hour before the parade began and another time as the opening of the parade, rolling giant 10-foot high inflatable balls through the streets. I had a hot pink ball with the letter 'L' on it. We spelled "WORLD". Although, by the end it was more like "RLDWO". whatever.
I got my picture made with these other (separate from the clown group) guys. They were on roller blades:



And here I am with Tony (who I know from juggling club). He has a pin on his costume that says "my last name is The Clown". He's brilliant:
battery is expired...more later.

1 comment:

niftysunburn said...

I like how you talk about your anti piracy show in this post and about your neighbor whom you "share" internets with in the last one.

Stay classy.