Monday, February 23, 2009

Proud to be an American

No pictures again. I hope to go somewhere photo-worthy before next post. Work has been a bit overwhelming. I've been covering rehearsals for absent teachers on top of our now usual 4 shows/week.
We also had another "Pearly Gates" last week. Last time, we were at a boy scout camp--this time we were inside a school gymnasium. Ah, the glamour.
One student asked me where I was from and when I said "may gwok" (yeah, USA, I don't lie about that anymore) he said, "Really? como estas?" Muy muy bien. Apparently, he told another boy that I was American because he came up to me:
"You are American?"
"Yes."
"Do you have an AK47?"
"What? No."
"Oh, so you have a rifle? Maybe just a bebe gun?"
"No."
"Paint-ball gun??"


So, my fellow Americans, this is our image. Who do we thank?
a. Hollywood
b. George W. Bush
c. William H. Macy (guess he's part of Hollywood, but whatever)
d. all of the above
e. none of the above (you must provide an answer if you choose e.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suspect that you will get no responses to your multiple choice questions since your public will almost certainly be confused by the question itself. WHOM do we . . . .

PALOMA said...

Hey, you got an anonymous from Ross Geller!

I would say e. and thank the Civil War and then all the people that came after who did not understand that there is a time for everything and that the time for "a well regulated Militia" is past.

I don't deny the need for a well regulated US Army, since the US will often need to defend itself from other nations that the US has previously occupied... (Ok, maybe a little too European there).

But I do agree with the right of the people to keep and bear Arms and Legs and Heads, and most importantly Brains...

Caitlin Rose said...

they love American in Mongolia. I just have to worry about convincing them I am not Russian...

Camber Carpenter said...

Thank you, Dr. Geller, Palomita, and C. Very good responses.
Isn't it ironic how both a conservative president and a liberal movie-making business are perhaps equally responsible for the image of a militant, gun-toting America?

Most people like Americans here. An old guy approached me and asked if I were German. I said no, and he seemed relieved--apparently, he thinks that German people want to kill him--and that the bright light in his apartment is from a satellite. Definitely a character for the memoir.

Anonymous said...

Just for the record, Anonymous comment No. 1, was not from Dr. Geller, but rather was from

The,

Dad.

Mine apologies for failing to identify myself.

Anonymous said...

The, Dad
We all know. Miss Serrano made a reference to a ficticious character from the now-cancelled situation-comedy, "Friends".
It's that show where the only one you like is Phoebe.

Anonymous said...

The, Dad, likes Phoebe? The one with the sister of ill repute? Will wonders never cease....

Keith said...

OK. The last time I was here we were assigning the 7 dwarfs to their real life counter parts. I am gone only a few days and my guns are somewhere in the forrest and Phoebe's reputation seems to be in jeopardy. I will stay closer.
KB