Wednesday, September 30, 2009

It's a Drag

We've done 3 Penguin shows now, and as I mentioned before, setting up the set is no easy task. Fortunately, my American Gladiator friend has been on board and will be there for most shows. I'm trying to think of a Gladiator name for him, which I will call him in my head while I call him George to his face. I'm open to suggestions because so far I've come up with only "Bludgeon", "The Scourge of Atlas" and "Musclenator".

First Shakespeare show is tomorrow--we've made some changes/improvements upon last year's version. We still have the requisite man in a dress in Michael's heart bleeding portrayal of Juliet.

Millie will soon take over my life. The male lead in the show is one of the best actors I've ever had the privilege to work with. Tonight, he told me that I change my DNA when I go onstage. If only that were possible! (just kidding, parental units)
Anyway, he meant it as a good thing and I was utterly flattered it came from him.

Now to the Drag.
It is believed that William Shakespeare coined the word "drag." Since only men could play the parts, the Bard would write "drag" next to female characters to mean "Dressed As Girl". Another Millie cast member did a drag show, so of course I went. Here I am with Rye (known that night as La Chiquita) and Sky, another Millie cast member:


Star-studded evening:


Michael and Lindsey came with me to support La Chiquita. Michael wore a shirt his mom made for him! We have so much in common:


As promised, a picture of the Penguin from during the show (I'm supposed to look a little terrified/confused):



There's a Millie cast member who asks me a lot of questions. They're mostly about theatre, but there are some life questions, too. They're not cool questions like Isadore used to ask (Paloma? Al? Meeps?) The questions never end and are often open-ended. Sometimes he'll ask the same question two days in a row. Sometimes he'll ask me questions at inappropriate moments, such as during a scene on stage. Sometimes he's still asking questions as I'm walking away from him to go to my train. I have nicknamed him (in my head) The Riddler.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

As to the name for George, has "Slayer" been used? Is it essential that you tilt your head back while posing as a penguin? In some instances you would merit the prize for the person in a picture who looks most uncomfortable. I hope you get your leg broken in Millie; I wish I could see it (Millie, not the leg).
The,

Dad.

Camber Carpenter said...

"Slayer" is a great name...but I'm afraid George doesn't slay much (you're possibly confusing him with Saint George and the Dragon). It needs to be something which denotes strength/physical force.

I will undoubtedly post photos from Millie. You'll feel like you were there.

Keith said...

I am pretty sure I used to date the one in the red dress. But that was a long time ago.....and ... well, things change. KB

Caitlin Rose said...

I recently was introduced to the wonder of Conan the Barbarian, so that is my suggestion. Conan that is, or maybe Barb. A little irony can sometimes go along way. My head hurts from 12 hours of free internet and no food. Feed me, Seymore. Love, C

The Classic Harpist said...

Of course you are terrified. You are surrounded by children.

It's a good thing you don't have anything hanging out of your nose.

Meaghan said...

magnus is always an appropriate gladiator name. also, see any of the names of the charaters in Rome.

Anonymous said...

Magnus is perfect! love, mom

Caitlin Rose said...

I like the character from Rome idea, Lucius Varinus is good,

El condor pasa said...

Well, Isadore was good with questions over a nice cup of hot chocolate at 4am: Cool Trivia Cosmo Nites!

But.. he was weird sometimes, specially after the Mary/whipped cream incident. Are you familiar with that story? We had to change to Hooka's East Side Caffe after that.

Camber Carpenter said...

Oh, yes...
The Mary/whipped cream incident lives in infamy to an entire generation of Hunter College dorm dwellers. Or at least in the archives of the Meeps.

A Ciarleglio said...

I think Isadore is a Meep. I guess a creepy one... but still a Meep.

And I want to meet this Riddler guy!