Sunday, September 20, 2009

Whether tis nobler....

I just returned from seeing "The Complete Works of Shakespeare: Abridged" performed brilliantly by an American touring company. Michael (of TIE fame) and I went and feel no shame that we plan to borrow or rather "distill" some ideas from it for our own show. The Bard plagiarized nearly everything anyway, so really, if you think about it, we're staying true to Shakespeare's methods. We got there a bit early and unexpectedly were invited into the VIP area (the guards at the door were associated with Millie--the musical I'm in that opens in 2 weeks) The VIP area is sectioned off from the proletariats by decorative mauve silk banners. Within, they serve complementary beverages.
The play exceeded my high expectations and renewed my passion for theatre, which hadn't been dwindling, but was perhaps muffled under the weight of the penguin suit. Hey mom, remember those Prince Pants you made for Into the Woods JHS 03 edition? Could you pack those and any other Shakespearean-looking garb or crowns into the next box? No rush. Also, if you have any rapper bling, we could use that. You know, like giant gold dollar signs, chains, Flava-Flave clocks, whatever's in your closet.

So then, back to life--I wrote an article for the Jacksonville publication "The Source." No word if it was fit to print. Any word, Jville people?

Our first TIE performance of Penguin is in 2 days! We're so ready. Last year's show involved a smoke machine. This year, it's a bubble machine. A week and 3 more Penguin shows later, we'll have our first Shakespeare show--Our favorite is the Macbeth song, done in a rock style, complete with mullet wigs. The choreography is much better than it was last year. There wasn't really any last year. Then on top of all that, we're rewriting the Movies show, which I "finished" in July, but it needs revamping.

Keeping up with all the potentials has been a challenge. I'm afraid if we attempted to have a pageant now, we'd have fewer contestants. I think I accidentally made one move to South Korea. Seriously, we went on a date and now he's moving to Seoul. Elvis has left the building, but he does that periodically. He'll be back. I'm sure he just couldn't handle the fame, feigned his death, and secretly moved to Uruguay. He's waiting for the appropriate time for a comeback tour.

Okay, I think I mentioned before about how I watch NBC Nightly News every morning and about how it sucks, right? I never realized how unsatisfactory it is until I compared it to the Chinese news which comes on right after. The Chinese anchors are so much better because they sometimes make subjective comments about the news. Also, they talk about actual news, not the "Making a Difference" crap that Brian Williams spouts. Does it make me a bad person that I don't care about a group of teens in Detroit, Michigan, driving around a van of vegetables to make it easier for people to make healthful choices?

So my question is: has the whole American/Chinese tire thing been on the news at all in the U.S.? It's on every day here. Every day. People here are screaming protectionism and violation of some sort of international agreement (clearly, I'm an expert on the issue). Just curious if any American news channel has addressed it.

Wow, the blog has gotten HEAVY.

I need something fluffy to balance...ah, Millie. 2 weeks, as I said. Millie hasn't challenged me much as an actor, but my math skills have improved. The young cast members help me with Cantonese--I help them with the Pythagorean Theorem. One guy came over and asked me to check his math homework. "Sure," I say. Then the heading of the page: "Differential Calculus." ha, right. Wade, if you're out there, all I have to say is, "Limit? What's a limit?"

Unfortunately, no monkey attacks this week. However, I have yet to venture to Monkey Mountain. Not sure how I managed to live here for a year and missed that one...
Also, as an anecdotal footnote, the spell check on blogger rejects "bling" as a real word. I have a complaint letter to write.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Source won't publish until Wed. 9/23. Watch for comments after that. Am now looking for Crowns and S'peare stuff. Should I check Goodwill??? love, mom

Anonymous said...

Tires? I dutifully watch the evening news every morning, and I have heard nothing about this intenational crisis. I am manifestly opposed to re-inventing the tire, anyway. Speaking of tires, I hope that a new collection of reality candidates can be assembled in the near future. I yearn for the opportunity to kick someone off an island.

The,

Dad.

JobFinder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JobFinder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JobFinder said...

So I kept posting fragments of what I wanted to post. Hopefully it will work this time. Sorry you have to experience the disappointment of thinking you have several comments when really 3 are my failed attempts.

I used to rely on legitimate news sources but kept flunking current event quizzes, so I had to downgrade. I've been acing those quizzes ever since I started watching "The Today Show!" A factor of my grade for my capstone journalism class is my look and on-camera persona. So yeah, journalism is a joke.

However, my literature class is worthwhile. We just finished "Frankenstein." It has provided me some inspiration for the Golem. Now all I have to do is wait for the "Twilight" sensation to pass. I'll put the stone in the belly of my Golem and BAM out of nowhere, the next big thing in mediocre fiction. Perhaps TIE should do a performance involving a Golem in order to prepare the masses for what is coming.

Your rendition of Macbeth sounds amazing, can't wait for pictures to be posted.

Camber Carpenter said...

mom--don't go out of your way to find our props; whatever's in Devon's closet is probably Shakespearean enough for our purposes.

dad--You know I manifestly oppose any and everything you manifestly oppose. Apparently the US has imposed a massive levy on Chinese tires in an attempt to make American tires the cheapest option.

Ann--maybe to be a respectable journalist, you need to work in China. And with that new pink jacket, so you should ace your look and on-camera persona.
"Frankenstein" is one of my favorites. I'll talk to my boss about commissioning you to write a play about a golem. Jewish golems are quite similar to Chinese vampires, so I'm sure the populous here will take latch on.

Camber Carpenter said...

I forgot...
Dad--I think I already accidentally kicked a contestant not only off the island, but out of the country.

and
ANN--

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
I'll give you a proper call when it's not 6am where you are.

The Classic Harpist said...

Why does my closet always get raided when you need freak clothes?

Also, I manifestly oppose your opposition to the manifest oppositions of The, Dad. We need more disagreement in this family.

Perhaps The, Dad, should start listening to NPR. I know all about the tire thing. It may also convince him that communism isn't ALL bad.

Keith said...

The Source is posted on line. current issue is usually a week or two after paper publication.
http://myjacksonvillesource.com/

Look forward to reading your story and am now going out to buy tires.
KB

Cathy said...

Camber,
I eagerly await the future publication of The Source. My heart sank when I got the last edition. I tore through it anxiously only to discover there was nothing written by Camber Carpenter. Due to the disappointment I promptly threw it in the recycle bin.
All I have seen about the tire crisis is a headline on Yahoo about how tire prices may go up. I didn't find it a topic of interest and therefore did not read the article.

Anonymous said...

"Populous"? I think you need the noun, not the adjective. Not that that has anything to do with tires.

Anonymous said...

As an avid reader of this blog, I must say that this post just made my day...my week...dare I say even my year?! I cannot believe that I was mentioned! Granted it was in reference to the "Limit Fiasco" as it has come to be known in my memory, but I am honored. (Incidentally, that story still makes me chuckle and is further proof of my complete lack of teaching prowess.)

Thanks for the heads up about your article in The Source, Camber. I look forward to reading it, and when you have the time, please keep the posts coming. I always enjoy getting to see how things are going for you.

All the best,
Wade

Meaghan said...

thanks for updating the blog camber. you made my swine flu feel better.

Camber Carpenter said...

As the writer of this blog, I have to say that all has been made worth while to have a comment from the one, the only, Wade.

And to anonymous who doesn't like the use of "populous" as a noun--at least I didn't end a sentence with a preposition. Was that Devon or Dad? Your voices are so similar in writing.

Healing swine flu is just one of the services this blog provides.
get well soon, McG!

Anonymous said...

Of course, it was I.

The,

Dad.

Anonymous said...

Camber, the article in the Source was quite interesting and, I thought, well written.
I'm Andrew Walker's mom, in case you're wondering what crazy woman is writing you! I will be reading your blog--I found it entertaining AND interesting!

Camber Carpenter said...

Mrs. Walker,
Welcome to the surreal insanity. Enjoy your stay.

The Classic Harpist said...

Cam,

You need to re-post the article here, for those of us unable to visit the Morgan County hipster places to pick up our own copy.