Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Sorry If I Disease You

The Penguin has landed. We travelled to Tuen Mun, in far northwest Hong Kong for our first show. Nothing tragic happened, the student response was high for a secondary school, and no riotous children attacked me. All in all, a good day. Pictures will come soon, and necessarily so, for there is a scene in the show when another character finds the penguin and wants to take pictures of it to put on facebook. We get students from the audience to be in the pictures, too. The transportation of our set/costumes requires much physical strength. It may initially seem to be a downside, but nay. For one, we get great exercise, but more importantly, we will now have George come with us. George works in the office, but he looks more like he should work on American Gladiator. So I think setting up the Penguin show will now be unexpectedly more enjoyable.

A verbatim quotation on an official poster in my building: "Maintain Air Conditioners to Avoid Nuisances and Other Diseases"

So if a nuisance is something that annoys someone, then by the transitive property, any time one is annoyed, one has a disease. It stands to reason.

As part of work tomorrow, we're going to a hit British TIE-type show. We are to absorb and learn from it.

I'm sure everyone is feverishly preparing for the October 1st National Day--we're celebrating the 60th anniversary of the New China! In Beijing, they've been rehearsing for a parade to dazzle the world. (that's another verbatim quotation from the evening news) They're putting restrictions on kitchen knife stores and there's no kite flying allowed until after the 1st. Also, there's a 30% chance of rain for that day. The government is working on options of how to disperse rain clouds. I read the Communist Manifesto in college, but I don't recall weather control as part of the deal. I think there'd be wider-spread support if it was in there.

Devon and Jeff (sister/brother-in-law) have booked tickets to visit in March/April! They've already found housing and it doesn't seem to be on my couch or in the ghetto, so they're off to a good start.

7 comments:

The Classic Harpist said...

Fitting both of us on your couch would would be a miracle only the communists could perform.

Anonymous said...

If a disease is merely "something" that can annoy, doesn't it naturally follow that there are other things that annow? In fact, I can think of 43. Hence, although all diseases definitely are annoying, I question whether all annoyances are diseases. I think I need a donut from Best Buffet.

The,

Dad.

Cathy said...

I'm glad to see that you still remember the transitive property from geometry. Perhaps you should become a permanent math tutor. That is, of course, as long as limits aren't involved.
The article in The Source was amazing. I considered taking all the copies from Festival Foods to distribute to everyone I know. I did decide leave some there in hopes that a stranger would read about your adventures and smile.

Anonymous said...

hi,camber elaine, i seen the penguin! and she looked cute. i drove up and seen your car and it made me sad but that;s ok. love gma

The Classic Harpist said...

Gma!!!!

Meaghan said...

let's hang on national day!!!
i want to see big fireworks!

Keith said...

great article! It should be posted on line by mid to late week.
http://myjacksonvillesource.com/
KB